Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Retreats and conferences and work, oh my

I'm sorry it's been such a long time since I've posted anything. I've had a busy week.
From monday to Wed. we went on a retreat to a place called Enniskillen. While there we got to practice the spiritual disciplines we've been learning about in class. We observed extended periods of silence, participated in Biblical meditation, and had times of prayer. I think the greatest experience I had was on the second day. We had 6 hours of complete silence where we got to engage with God on our own. The first 2 hours I went into the forest. At first I walked around a bit, then I went off the trail into a wooded area, found a comfy looking tree and sat up against it to read Scripture and pray. Let me tell you, no tree is comfortable after 2 hours. I tried really hard to hear from God, to be open to whatever He might say...nothing. So I got up to go back to the cottage but I realized I was lost. I wandered around a bit more, chased a frog, found a cool walking stick, was attacked by several bushes, and eventually found my way back to the path. I got back to the main complex in time for lunch, chicken soup and a bread roll. While we were all waiting in the hallway for our meal, not talking to eachother, Joey was so into his oun little world that he walked into the womans bathroom. We all tried to laugh as silently as possible, and after about 10 seconds of him not realizing what he had done I went in to get him out. Oh, it was funny.
Anyway, after that Adrian had set up prayer stations based around the elements. There were applicable scriptures to fire, earth, air, water, and wood (which isn't an elemnet). I started at the water station and right away heard God speak to me as clearly as I have ever heard Him. It was really cool, because if I hadn't taken that time out to be still in front of Him I really dont think I would have been able to hear what He wanted to say to me. If I had quit after the first two hours then I would have missed out on something special. It really made me understand in my heart why quiet time is so important. I ended up staying in the prayer room for the rest of the afternoon. It was really great.
The rest of the weekend was fun and the location was beautiful. I'm having trouble posting pictuers so I'll try again on another entry.
Then from Thursday till saturday there was a conference here featuring Erwin McManus and Phil Baker. They were speaking on the church in the future and the future of the church. Thet both come from a post-modernish point of view, which I have been reading a lot about lately. I got so much out of it. They were both extreamly good speakers, very funny and engaging, and had a lot to say. But they both came from a place of love and were very positive as opposed to some of the literature I have read that seems to only condem what they felt has been wrong about the past. Both are published authors and I highly recommend getting ahold of some of their work. Or you can get their podcasts of every sunday service. I really want to listen to everything they said again and sort through it some more. After I collect my own thoughts I'll tell you more about it.
Then the past three days have been filled with classes, work, and more work. So this is really the first chance I've had to do anything. Mom is here in two days which is absolutely insane. It's going to be good to see her. And I turn a whole 23 years old on monday, so this is a big week for me.
I'm going to have another go at my pictures now.
Love always

1 Comments:

Blogger Jenni said...

wow Leigh!
I love how you tell your stories about your adventures over seas!
I wish i was ther eto share in your stories and adventures!
You are going to have an absolute BLAST with your mom in town! Make sure to show her a good time!
You comming home at all for Christmas? If so i would love to show you pictures of my wedding and see more pictures from all your fun! Pod partners forever!!!
hugs and warm wishes your way!!!

1:48 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home