Thursday, November 02, 2006

My trip up north

Today James, Joey, Nathan, Myself and our new friend called Karen went up north to the Giants Causeway. The drive was really beautiful, the lush rolling green hills, the sheep, and of course the water. But once we got there I was really blown away by the causeway itself. For those of you who dont know it's made up of these huge hexagonal stones jutting out of the ground. I've heard it called "Gods cigarette carton" which is pretty much what it can look like from some angles. Scientist think that it is some sort of lava formation but the myth behind it is that there was this giant in Scotland and one in Ireland and they built this thing to cross over. The history is more complicated than that but I dont feel like writing it all down, so look it up if you're interested. There is a similar rock formation directly across from it in Scotland so I'm told. To sit there and watch the waves crashing onto the shore and clamber over the massive stepping stones was really something. We didn't have a lot of time because Nathan had a meeting tonigt and it's about an hour and a half drive so next time I go I want to spend a whole day. I'm going to try and organize a whole day trip up there for when Mom is here. Right close to it is also Dunluce castle which we saw from the road but didnt stop at. Its in ruins but it still looks pretty spectacular. The north coast is really stunning and these pictures dont do it justice at all but here is a small look at what this land has to offer.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home