Monday, January 22, 2007

You can run, you can hide, but you can't escape my love...

I know I've been remiss at updating this thing lately, and I extend my apologies to all my faithful readers. I could blame it on being busy but that would be a filthy lie. The real reason is that I've finally given in and have starting using myspace. Don't fear, I will still be updating old bloggy here, but the novelty of myspace (now that I've figured out how to use it) is still fresh and exciting.
If anyone is interested here is the address
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=109431421
And hey, if you have a myspace add me as a friend. So far I only have like 12 and they're all my friends here so it's a little pointless.

Okay, as for the happenings here over the past few weeks...
My camera has arrived. Woot Woot!!! It is so sexy. I'm still learning how to use it properly but the pictures it takes are absolutely amazing. Here are some pictures of Adam and I making some home-made sushi. (It's no 33b, but it was still pretty darn good.)




In church we've started a series on Nehemiah. We've gone through the first 3 chapters and looked at how God put a passion in his heart (to rebuild the walls of Jerusalem), then God impressed on him to take action, then how he actually had to step out and do the work. You know how in your life you hear a few sermons that will always stick with you? Well these are it for me. Ever since I've gotten here I've been challenged on what Christian’s role is in social action. Jesus talked a lot about the kingdom of God on earth, and for a very long time I thought that meant getting as many people as possible to say the sinners prayer and get 'saved', to see how many people you could sign up for the club. I've come to believe that he was talking about much more than that. I don't mean to downplay the importance of each individual making a personal commitment to Christ - that is the only path to salvation I believe, but I think the concept of the kingdom of heaven on earth has more to do with feeding the hungry, clothing the naked, and standing up for the oppressed than I have realized in the past. As westerners even the least of us has been given so much, and I believe we will be held accountable to that. What will we do with the resources we have been given? What legacy we leave after we're gone? I've heard it said that the Clinton era of the US will be judged in history by what it did not do in Rwanda and what it did not do about the aids crisis in Africa. Do we as the body of Christ want to be judged by what we did not do in the time given to us? By what injustices we let stand? Or by how many people we let starve? I know we can't help everybody, but I believe that we all have the responsibility to do what we can to see God glorified in the earth.
These have been the thoughts that I've been wrestling with lately. Please post your comments and let me know what you think. And please pray for me that God would sort all these things out in my life and that I would be moved to action.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home